The Email marketing channel remains one of the most profitable channels among marketers. Whether email marketing is part of your omni-channel marketing strategy, or it's the core of your business, tracking beyond your open and click-through rate, is key to your business growth.
While this integration does not require any programming, or technical skills, it still requires that you update settings in your Klaviyo account, and setup a Google Tag Manager container. If you are unable to follow the instructions below, please fill this form.
Klaviyo is a marketing automation platform that automates SMS and email marketing to help businesses acquire, retain and grow their customers. Klaviyo is well known and used by eCommerce owners as it integrates seamlessly with most eCommerce platforms such as Shopify, Woocommerce and others.
The Tracking and Attribution Challenge
When you acquire your customers through paid media campaigns, your goal is to drive a maximum ROAS to your campaigns. Yet, when email marketing is part of your marketing, the customers acquired through paid ads will hopefully come back to your shop via your email campaigns, promotions and loyalty programs.
In these marketing scenarios, the repeat purchases will be attributed to your email campaigns, rather than to your paid ads channels.
Over time, and if you are successful at your email marketing campaigns, the ratio of purchases attributed to your email campaigns, rather than your paid ad campaigns will grow, and will prevent you from clearly seeing the true ROAS of your paid ads.
How the Klaviyo AnyTrack integration solves this challenge
Once you enable the integration, AnyTrack will tag your subscribers according to their original ad campaign sources, and any subsequent conversions, regardless of when they happen will be attributed and reported according to their original ad campaigns.
Important to remember
- The integration does not impact the Ad Networks attribution window.
- In Klaviyo conversions will still be attributed based on the email campaigns subscribers receive.
- You still need a working integration between your Shop and Klaviyo
- Klaviyo account
- An AnyTrack account with a Personal Plan or higher
- A Google Tag Manager Account
Step #1: Navigate to the UTM Tracking settings
Step #2: Create the new parameters according to the illustration (below)
1. AnyTrack tracking parameter: atclid
- Click on Add A custom UTM Parameter
- Set the UTM Parameter name to atclid
- Select the Campaign Email Value External id ($id)
- Select the Flow Email Value External id ($id)
2. Klaviyo id parameter: klcid
- Click on Add a custom UTM Parameter
- Set the UTM Parameter name to klcid
- Select the Campaign Email Value Klaviyo Profile ID
- Select the Flow Email Value Klaviyo Profile ID
3. Enable the option Automatically add UTM parameters to links
Step #3: Navigate to the Klaviyo API settings
- Give your API Key a name
- Reveal the key and copy it (you will need it in the following steps)
Step #4: Add the Google Tag Manager container to your website
This step is required if you have published Klaviyo forms on your website and visitors are subscribing to your Klaviyo account prior to making a purchase.
The GTM template enables the following actions:
- Loads the AnyTrack Tracking Tag
- Tracks the Klaviyo Form submissions
- Passes Klaviyo event data to AnyTrack JS API
Steps to install the GTM Container
1. Download the Google Tag Manager container template here
2. Import the container into your Google Tag Manager workspace*
3. Update the AnyTrack Property ID with your own.
4. Submit the container.
*If you already have the AnyTrack Tag in your GTM Workspace, you should remove it.
Step #5: Request the integration
Once you have followed the instructions, you can request the integration using this form.
- Provide the Property ID for which this integration will be activated - How to find my
- Provide the Klaviyo API Key you created in Step #3
- Provide the Klaviyo List ID against which AnyTrack will validate and update the subscribers
- We recommend creating a new list for this specific purpose.
- Make sure this is not a Segment ID or the validation will fail.